Sunday, September 14, 2008

Inspiration

Whenever I'm in class, I hear about the many books my classmates have read and I am always wowed. I'm such a terribly slow reader, but this may be out of a need to dissect and truly understand. This not to say that my peers aren't getting the same information or better out of the work, but I labor into details and themes a lot. Of the authors I most admire, I'd have to say Kurt Vonnegut is still the man and his work still draws me in every time. My personal favorite of his work would have to be Breakfast of Champions. Of course we had mentioned in the first class that Chuck Palahniuk is very popular now, especially with more of his books turning into movies. His novel Survivor is amazing and a great read eveytime. Another author who I am reading is Junot Diaz, who's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is my new favorite. I know that Jezmarie remembers the Campbell MacGrath's Capitalist Poems from Creative Writing last year. These all imspire me and help to push my boundaries in tought and in writing. Here are some links for these authors:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_McGrath
www.junotdiaz.com/
www.chuckpalahniuk.net/
www.vonnegut.com/

2 comments:

A Quinlan said...

Great first post. AQ

MissShaw1 said...

Don't worry about being a slow reader. I didn't learn to read on my own level until I was in college and got into books. I find that the more and more I read the faster I get at reading...and I know that when I read out loud to myself the story becomes more interesting...but I'm suffering in the same boat as you. If you look at the authors I have on my page you'll notice that most of them are childrens authors. So, just know you're not alone.